So remember that time I stopped running for a few weeks because I was fine until all of a sudden my hip started hurting, a lot? Well, I went and got those xrays that I had put off, and as it turns out I don’t have an injury per se, but I do have a significant congenital deformity of the hip and pelvis that is probably the cause of my problems and that I never knew about for my entire life until right now. SURPRISE!!!!!!
This probably means that I can’t run marathons again, ever, because the stress will just cause more and more progressive damage and I don’t really want to have a hip replacement when I’m 35.
I feel old.
Also, I might need to change the name of this blog to something like hungrygirlsits.
But since I don’t really feel like dealing with this right now, let me distract us all with an easy, healthy weeknight recipe. I sort of invented this one evening when I had all of these things in my fridge and not a lot of time, and to my surprise it actually ended up tasting pretty delicious.
Spicy Peanut Slaw with Brown Rice
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 package marinated tofu (I use this marinated baked tofu from trader joes), cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup almonds, chopped or slivered
- 1 small or 1/2 large avocado, cubed
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, chiffonaded
- 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 tsp water
- Dash of ground ginger
- Dash of chili powder
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, tofu, almonds, avocado, cilantro and basil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, soy sauce, sriracha, water, ginger and chili powder until smooth.
- Toss the slaw with the dressing and serve over the warm brown rice.